Designing your website can be difficult. Nowadays there are so many options that it can be overwhelming. You want your website to be aesthetically pleasing while also representative of your brand.
When you start to feel overwhelmed, pause and choose simplicity. When it doubt, the cleaner your site is, the better. Cluttered sites decrease the ease of navigation and often aren't as pleasing to look at.
1) Pick one relevant colour and utilize variations in light and dark for both the background and text.
2) Calm colours are better than too bright. If you are using a vibrant colour palette, it could hurt your users eyes. Be sure to not overdo it.
3) If using different colours, be sure to make the contrast clear. Also limit how many colours you are using, otherwise there may be a level of inconsistency in your design.
4) Gradients can be effective if they are used correctly.
5) Colour psychology! Every colour has a meaning or an emotional response it can evoke in users but there is still a level of personal relevance in what they feel or see with certain colours. This is why it is important to study your colour palette or scheme to understand how utilizing different colours together alters their presentation, who you are targeting, and how it aligns with your purpose/brand.
1) To highlight a specific feature, make it clear and blur the rest of the background.
2) When it doubt, use personalized but professional pictures of your actual business/brand. Stock photos are an option if you don't have this, but can make your website look like everyone else's (a lack of differentiation and reduce your brand in terms of professionalism).
3) Have a purpose with your image. An image shouldn't be added to your site just for the sake of it. It should be representative of something, including a service, conveying your message, or promoting your brand.
These are concepts that designers work with and contemplate when designing a website. If you want assistance or a review of what your website is saying about your brand, contact LiveFive Web Design today!